An 1898 Port Tampa church is now a home, and is on the market for $ 425,000
A church that dates back to the beginning of the Spanish American War is now a residence, and it is for sale in the historic Port Tampa district.
Located at 7002 S Shamrock Rd, the building was originally built in 1898 and was used as the Episcopal Church of Port Tampa. It is not known exactly when it was converted into a home, although the property’s earliest residential records date back to 1931.
The current owner of the house, Beth Larcom told Creative Loafing Tampa that it was “a mess” when she and her husband first bought it in 1979.“We owned it for five years before we even lived there,” Larcom said. “There was all these little rooms and an 8 foot drop ceiling. Well, as you can see, we now have 22 foot ceilings after we took everything apart.”
Although there have been some improvements, the house still retains the historic front door and beams. However, the church’s original stained glass windows have been removed, but can still be found at the St. James Episcopal House of Prayer, also known as “Rock Church,” in Tampa Heights.
The 2,173 square foot home sits on an oversized corner lot and features two bedrooms and two bathrooms, as well as hardwood floors, a loft, a two-car garage and numerous “sanctuaries”.
“We had a great time at home,” added Larcom, who is moving to North Carolina with her husband. “We’ve had weddings, New Years parties, memorials, birthday parties, it’s just such a beautiful house for a get-together. It really is a one of a kind house.”
The house is currently asking for $ 425,000 and the listing agent is Robert Keppel of Smith & Associates Real Estate.