Clarkesville, first UMC to organize a camp meeting in the city
The First United Methodist Church in Clarkesville, Georgia, has been holding camp meetings for years and years. Jennifer Boydstun, a church staff member, remembers camp meetings going well when she and her family came to church in the mid-1980s. Boydstun recalls, âUsually it looked like a casual dress (leave the suit and tie at home!) and sing songs from the Cokesbury Hymnal. It was a time to celebrate the heritage of the Methodist Church and incorporate the sense of historic camping reunion inside the sanctuary on a Sunday morning. Boydstun said even the Sunday newsletter would have a different âvintageâ look.
Pastor Keith Cox changed the terminology from Campmeeting Month to Campmeeting in the City. Two years ago, camp meetings were held in a large tent on the church grounds. This year, concerned about the weather and the bugs, the church has scheduled the event to be held inside the Fellowship Hall. The community room will be remodeled to give a âcamp reunion feelâ without the dirt on the floor.
A campmeeting in the city will take place every Sunday in August. Three of the evening meetings will be community worship services led by pastors and choirs from three other Habersham churches.
The camp schedule is:
- August 1 – 10 a.m .: A Worship followed by a covered flat lunch
- August 8 – 9am and 11am worship. 6 p.m. worship led by Clarkesville FUMC.
- August 15th – 9am and 11am worship. 6:00 p.m. service led by Shady Grove Baptist Church in Cornelia, Georgia.
- 22 august – 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. worship. 6:00 p.m. service led by Life Church of Cornelia, Georgia.
- August 29 – Worship at 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. 6:00 p.m. service led by Ebenezer United Methodist Church in Clarkesville, Georgia.
For more information, contact Rev. Keith Cox at 706-754-2677. Clarkesville First United Methodist Church is located at 1o8 Washington Street in Clarkesville, Georgia.