St. Marks in the-Bowery Church Receives $ 35,000 Grant for Sacred Sites
One of the city’s oldest places of worship will receive much needed financial assistance for its ongoing restoration efforts.
The New York Landmarks Conservancy has awarded St. Mark’s Church in the Bowery $ 35,000 through their Sacred Sites Grant, a designation that administers funds to historic religious properties statewide. The church on East 10th Street recently matched the grant, which will help fund a full $ 500,000 restoration of its built-in copper gutters, which have been leaking for decades. This resulted in substantial damage to the shrine, which is still actively used both for worship and for public events and performances.
The grant was made possible by the estate of Robert W. Wilson, a dedicated patron of the Conservancy’s sacred sites program and a substantial contributor to the preservation of historic New York religious art and architecture.
âWe are deeply grateful to Bob Wilson and his passion and commitment to our sacred sites program. He has singularly supported this effort for a number of years, and we will always be grateful to him, âsaid Peg Breen, President of The New York Landmarks Conservancy.
St. Mark’s in-the-Bowery was built in 1795-99 on the site of Peter Stuyvesant’s family chapel, making it the oldest continuous worship site in New York City. It has undergone many architectural changes over the decades; more recently, a major fire in 1978 caused extensive damage to the church and parish hall, which was restored in the years that followed until 1987.