The historic Dover Church will re-dedicate the sanctuary after its restoration on November 21
The Church of Christ Episcopal in downtown Dover will hold a blessing and dedication service at 9 a.m. on Sunday, November 21, at the church sanctuary at 501 S. State St.
This service celebrates the completion of several years of planning and a multi-month project to restore and renovate the historic structure from 1734.
Renovation included refurbishment of benches and hardwood floors, interior paint with color from a historic collection donated by a national paint supplier, lighting and HVAC upgrades, new console organ and more.
âThe work that has been done will sustain us for years to come,â said Jon Rania, a lay ministry associate who oversaw the project for the congregation. “We are very proud of our role and position in this community, in the history of our city, the state and the life of the Episcopal Church here in Delaware. Not to mention the generations who have worshiped here before. us and are buried in our cemetery. We stand on their shoulders and continue their legacy as we move into the 21st century. We want this place to continue to be a safe harbor for all, and we want to continue to shine our lighthouse everywhere for all to see. “
At the service, Most Reverend Kevin S. Brown, Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Delaware, will offer prayers of blessing and dedication with Reverend Charles S. Weiss, rector of the church.
Contractors involved in the project have also been invited to attend and will be recognized during the service for the work they have done. The public is invited to attend. Refreshments will follow immediately after. There is no charge, but a voluntary offering will be taken. For more information, contact Jon Rania at 302-734-5731 or 302-245-1881, or email [email protected]
Christ Church was founded in 1705 as the mission of the Church of England Society for the Propagation of the Gospel. The structure of the church has been in continuous use since its construction in 1734, and it houses a viable and active congregation.
In addition to the church sanctuary, the historic cemetery is the final resting place for many citizens of Dover, including Caesar Rodney, whose grandfather was once the rector of the church. Additional familiar surnames of those buried there include the Ridgelys, RIchardsons, Loockermans, Bradfords, Bonwills, Bannings, Terrys, Thompsons and many more.
The Parish House on the same campus is a building well known to many in the community because of its myriad of programs, ranging from 12-step group meetings and music lessons to organizing legislative meetings and more.